A great festive cookie! Make sure you allow time for the batter to rise.
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (or blend of white and whole wheat flours)
- 1½ cups oatmeal
- ¼ cup raw honey
- ½ cup rapadura or brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Zest from 1 medium orange
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together sourdough starter and butter.
- Add flour and oatmeal, one cup at a time, until incorporated.
- Cover and sour for at least 2 and up to 8 hours.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together honey, sugar, salt, eggs, vanilla, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, orange zest, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Pour the mixture over the soured dough and mix until well incorporated.
- Stir in cranberries and walnuts.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto greased baking sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly golden.
Alternatively, spread batter into a greased rimmed cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Slice into bars when cooled.