Cottage Cheese and Spinach Filled Ham Rolls
These will make a hearty appetizer or a light supper.
- 1-1/2 pounds thinly sliced naturally cured ham
- 2 cups cooked soaked or sprouted brown rice
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 pastured egg plus 1 egg white (save yolk for sauce)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry, or 1 pound of fresh spinach, steamed until wilted and squeezed dry
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 cup of mustard sauce (see below)
- Paprika, optional
- Mix sauce ingredients together and set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl mix cottage cheese, eggs, brown rice, onion, spinach, salt, and enough mustard sauce to hold mixture together.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of spinach mixture on each ham slice and roll up. Place seam side down in a buttered 9x11-inch baking dish. Spoon sauce over. Sprinkle with paprika if desired.
- Bake at 350°F, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes.
Mustard Sauce Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 2 cups cultured sour cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mustard Sauce Instructions
Mix all ingredients together and whisk until smooth.
Ready to learn more?