The natural goodness of coconut water is further enhanced with the addition of probiotics from the water kefir culture.
- 1 quart coconut water
- 3 tablespoons water kefir grains
- Optional flavoring: 1 cup fresh fruit (mixtures of berries, lemon, etc. work best)
- Activate dehdyrated grains first using sugar water. Once the grains are making good water kefir using sugar water, they are ready to use with coconut water.
- Place the water kefir grains in the coconut water. Cover the jar loosely and allow the kefir grains to culture the coconut water for 24 to 48 hours. Once the culturing process is complete, remove the kefir grains.
- To add fruit flavoring, puree together the coconut water kefir and the fruit.
- Note: Ideally water kefir grains should be cultured in sugar water (1/4 cup sugar and 1 quart water) for 24 to 48 hours between batches of making coconut water kefir. The sugar water will feed and refresh the kefir grains keeping them healthy for the long term.