This is by far the easiest and most versatile cheese there is. Use it for anything, and keep some on hand all the time to supplement meals or for snacking.
- Put the milk into a clean jar and cover with a round of butter muslin secured with a rubber band. Leave in a cool, dry place in your kitchen away from drafts and direct sunlight until it begins to set and separate, about 2 days.
- Line a colander with clean cheesecloth and suspend it over a large bowl to reserve the whey, or a sink if you would rather not reserve the whey.
- Pour the soured (clabbered) milk into the lined colander and allow to drain there for about 12 hours, covered with another layer of cheesecloth to keep out any bugs.
- After about a day, make a draining sack out of the cheesecloth surrounding the cheese and hang it for another day, or until it drips no more.
- Untie the draining bag and scoop the cheese into a large plastic container with a lid. Salt to taste and flavor any way you like, or just place it covered into the refrigerator and use it as a spread or substitute for any soft cheese recipe you’d like to try.
This cheese will keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Ready to Learn More?