Indulge a chocolate craving with this rich bread. Soaking the flour in kefir breaks down phytic acid, making the nutrients in the flour more available. It also makes this bread extra moist and enjoyable.
- 1 cup kefir
- 1 ¾ cup flour
- 1 cup organic sugar (can use Rapadura or sucanat)
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup organic unsweetened cocoa
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- ½ cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 12-24 hours prior to making bread, mix the flour and kefir together. Cover and allow the flour to soak.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom only of 8”x4” or 9”x5” loaf pan. In a large bowl, combine the sugar and butter, blend well.
- Add the eggs and blend well. Add the flour and kefir mixture. Add the cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Blend just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Stir in the nuts and chocolate chips. Do not over-mix. Pour into the greased pan.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes before removing from the pan and setting on a wire rack. Cool the bread completely before serving.
The bread should be wrapped tightly and stored in the refrigerator if it is not eaten immediately. Makes one loaf.
Ready for More Kefir Breads?