Our thermophilic direct-set culture is a key ingredient used to make a variety of hard cheeses, including Parmesan, romano, provolone, Swiss and more!
- Each box contains 8 packets of direct-set starter culture.
- Store extra packets in the freezer.
- Use as directed by your recipe or at the following rate: 1 packet per gallon of milk, 2 packets per 2-4 gallons, or 4 packets per 5-10 gallons.
- Heat milk and culture according to temperatures outlined in your recipe.
- Avoid using ultra-pasteurized or UHT milk.
- Direct-set (single-use) culture, no maintenance required.
- Having trouble making cheese? Browse our Expert Advice Articles on Cheesemaking or contact us for assistance!
Thermophilic Direct-Set Starter Culture Ingredients
- Sucrose, Maltodextrins, Lactic bacteria (S.thermophilus)
Thermophilic Direct-Set Starter Culture Allergen Information
- This product is manufactured in a facility that also processes products containing soy and dairy.
Thermophilic Direct-Set Starter Culture Storage Information
Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
What is a Direct-Set Culture?
Direct-Set cultures are a one-time-use culture, they cannot be recultured (i.e. perpetuated beyond the single batch). Direct-Set cultures are often preferred by cheese makers as they require no maintenance or care. Simply keep the packet in the freezer and remove the portion for your recipe when it's time to make cheese. Most Direct-Set cultures contain multiple doses to inoculate multiple batches.
Actual product may differ from image shown above.