Chèvre is a soft and creamy spreadable cheese traditionally made with goat milk. It makes a delicious spread for crackers and breads as well as an excellent dip for vegetables. Chèvre is easy to make and a perfect option for both beginning and experienced cheese makers.
- Each box contains 4 packets, each packet contains both starter culture and rennet.
- Use 1 packet of chevre starter with 1-4 quarts of fresh goat milk.
- Cultures at room temperature, 72º-77ºF, no appliance required.
- Avoid using ultra-pasteurized or UHT milk.
- Direct-set (single-use) culture, no maintenance required.
- Instructions for making chevre cheese are included with your starter and may be found here.
- Having trouble making chevre cheese? Browse our Expert Advice Articles on Cheesemaking or contact us for assistance!
Chevre Cheese Starter Culture Ingredients
- Lactose, Ascorbic Acid, Lactic Bacteria (Lactococcus lactis supsp. Lactis, Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris, Lactococcus lactis subsp. diacetylactis, Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. cremoris)
- Organic Vegetable Rennet
Chevre Cheese Starter Culture Allergen Information
- Manufactured in a facility that produces products containing soy and dairy.
Chevre Cheese Starter Culture Storage Information
Store in refrigerator or freezer.
What is a Direct-Set Culture?
Direct-Set cultures are a one-time-use culture, they cannot be recultured (i.e. perpetuated beyond the single batch). Direct-Set cultures are often preferred by cheese makers as they require no maintenance or care. Simply keep the packet in the freezer and remove the portion for your recipe when it's time to make cheese. Most Direct-Set cultures contain multiple doses to inoculate multiple batches.
Actual product may differ from image shown above.