This sauerkraut variation is slightly milder than traditional cabbage kraut, and a little sweet, so it works better for more timid palates.
- 1 small head of cabbage, finely shredded
- 3 large carrots, shredded
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. With clean hands or a Cabbage Crusher, mix or lightly pound the ingredients for a few minutes.
- Cover the bowl with a towel and let it sit for 30 minutes. Check it occasionally, mixing and pounding it a little to get the juices flowing.
- Stuff the mixture into a quart glass jar, pressing to submerge completely underneath the liquid. If necessary, add a bit of water to completely cover the mixture or use a fermentation weight to keep the vegetables under the liquid.
- Cover the jar with a tight lid, airlock lid, or coffee filter secured with a rubber band.
- Culture at room temperature (60-70°F is preferred) until desired flavor and texture are achieved. If using a tight lid, burp daily to release excess pressure.
- Once the kraut is finished, put a tight lid on the jar and move to cold storage. The flavor will continue to develop as it ages.
Looking for More Cultured Vegetable Recipes?