Our heirloom-variety buttermilk starter creates a traditional cultured buttermilk that is rich in nutrients. Homemade buttermilk can be used for baking, drinking or can be added to cream for making cultured butter and is delicious in a variety of recipes.
- Each box contains 2 packets of starter culture.
- Activate 1 packet using 1 quart pasteurized milk (store 2nd packet in the freezer as a back-up).
- Cultures on the countertop at 70°-77°F, no appliance required.
- Culture may be used to make raw milk buttermilk, with special care.
- Avoid using ultra-pasteurized or UHT milk.
- Reusable culture: a small amount of each batch can be used to make the next batch and recultures from batch to batch indefinitely.
- Instructions for making cultured buttermilk are included with your starter.
- Having trouble making buttermilk? Browse our Buttermilk Troubleshooting FAQ or contact us for assistance.
Cultured Buttermilk Starter Instructions and Troubleshooting
Buttermilk Starter Culture Ingredients
- Organic milk, live active cultures.
- This product contains no GMO ingredients.
Buttermilk Starter Culture Allergen Information
- Manufactured in a facility that also produces products containing gluten and dairy.
Shipping Information and Shelf-life
Our Cultured Buttermilk Starter is shipped in a barrier-sealed packet as a freeze-dried culture. The starter keeps:
- At room temperature (68° to 77°F): 3 to 4 months
- In the refrigerator (40° to 45°F): 9 months unopened
- In the freezer (0° to 25°F): 12 months unopened
Actual product may differ from image shown above.