Kvass is a traditional beverage in many cultures. This beet kvass is a simple, easy-to-make, and inexpensive way to take in a cultured beverage.
- 2 or3 beets, depending on size
- 4 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 quarts filtered water
- Chop beets into ½-inch pieces and place in a half-gallon jar.
- Add salt; fill jar with water, leaving 1 inch headspace.
- Cover the jar with a tight lid, airlock lid, or coffee filter secured with a rubber band.
- Culture at room temperature (60-70°F is preferred) until desired flavor and texture are achieved. If using a tight lid, burp daily to release excess pressure.
- Once the sauerkraut is finished, put a tight lid on the jar and move to cold storage. The sauerkraut's flavor will continue to develop as it ages.
When most of the liquid has been drunk from the kvass, refill the jar and culture at room temperature again for a second, weaker batch.
Want More Cultured Beverage Recipes?